Saturday, December 14, 2013

Canyon Vistas RV Resort, Gold Canyon, AZ

We're here at Canyon Vistas RV Resort on the Fall Special. For the price of one month plus utilities you can stay from Sept 4 to Jan 1.  Who in their right mind comes here the beginning of September? Early fall, in my opinion, is the best time just about anywhere in the USA, except for the desert. We arrived here Oct 30 and stayed for two months.


There are many things to do at this resort: swimming, bocce ball, pool tables, state of the art gym, softball, expansive library, shuffleboard, pickleball, tennis, ping-pong, golf, woodshop, carving, sewing/quilting, pottery, stained glass, dice, singing, cards and other games. All these activities are free; just pay for supplies if you use them. There is a hosted happy hour every Monday and Thursday with live music. It's not my type of music and the line dancers take over the dance floor. I guess I'd better change my attitude about country music if I'm going to fit in with the crowd.

I was going to do some wood carving but Tim doesn't think I can afford to lose a finger. True dat. So Jackie and I decided each to make a stained glass mosaic piece. I really enjoyed my project.






Everyone gets around Canyon Vistas on their bike or golf cart. It is an active 55 & older place - so what are we doing here? Well, once I got over the "everyone is so old" factor I began to have a pretty good time. We met great people from all over the US and Canada. We've met nearer to our age. Most of the others are really not that old.

We went to a dinner show called the Arizona Opry for a fantastic performance with Jim & Penny; Brad & San; Terry & Leslie; Dennis & Jackie. A large group of musicians played old time rock and roll on multiple instruments. The lead singer performed his hit song: The Lion Sleeps Tonight. I recognized the song from The Lion King movie, but everyone else remembered him from The Ventures.


Jim & Penny

Brad & San

Terry & Leslie
Dennis & Jackie



The pools are wonderful. The largest one is H shaped with a volley ball net and snack shop. Plush recliners under personal cabanas. When someone shows up you ask them: "Don't you love my pool? Welcome, enjoy yourself!" It is that empty. Where is everyone? Busy having fun somewhere I guess.



At CV they have dinner/dances for all the holidays. They do an over the top wonderful job of decorating. It's a Cal-Am resort and they've got a pretty good budget. We'll be back next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment