Monday, June 1, 2015

Happy Birthday Mamacita!

Our parents were born and raised in Minnesota. They are hard working, lovely, fun people. After WWII they married and eventually moved to Chicago, then Tucson and finally to raise their brood in beautiful San Diego, California. My father passed two years ago at the tender age of 89. Our mom recently celebrated her 90th birthday. Can you even imagine? Neither could she, but here she is in her home town to celebrate with her beloved siblings, nieces, nephews, children and grandchildren. Denise and I arrived first. We took the Metro to downtown to down a couple of brews.
The mighty Mississippi




We went to visit Aunt Irene. She's working on 94 years on the planet.
Good hair runs in their family.


Our brother Dave flew in for the event and we met for lunch with Peggy.
Love you Peggy.


We also stopped to see Mom's younger brother Jerome and his wife Donna. 


This is the family farmhouse where Mom was born and lived with most of her 11 siblings. In the day we would drive from San Diego to MN semi-annually and our parents would "farm" us out to various homes with cousins our age. I came here to stay with Uncle Leon whose birthday was same as mine, Auntie Ione and my cousins David, Danny, Steve, Henry, Lynn, LouAnn, Renee, Dale. Oh my gosh I hope I didn't forget to name any of you.





We pulled onto the property and no one seemed bothered by us looking around the barn and at the animals. Not Dale's seven children. Or their friends, or anyone working that day on the farm. Apparently unknown vehicles arriving is a common occurrence.

Dale was out cutting hay. It smelled wonderful.


Then we drove to the Weber's farm. Neil saw us drive up and came over to talk. He was cutting hay that day too. I also stayed on this farm with Uncle Romie, Auntie Irene, Ray, Judy, Linda, Neil, Bonnie, Maureen, and Joe. My Aunt recently took up painting and I saw her painting of this same farmhouse. What talent she has!


This was the other home before the farmhouse was built. 


There is so much beauty in this picture.The barn.The tiles on the silo. 
My two sisters Christine and Denise


Not all happy cows are in California


Cattle corn


Auntie Marlene invited us over for a visit before Mom's birthday party. 


Elmer the Barn Cat turned House Cat


The seesters and Mom. I heard a lot of comments that I look like my Mom. I would have hated that when I was younger, but I couldn't be prouder now. 


Auntie Marlene house looks like it's in a park. So beautiful.
More memories flood in


Many a family portrait was taken on Grandma's back porch. My cousin Jeannine lives here now and was kind enough to share the updates that have been done over the years. 


It has been more than 35 years since I was in Minnesota. I always told my daughter that if by chance I saw one of my cousins walking down the street I probably wouldn't recognize them. I was thrilled that when I saw their faces I did in fact remember most all of them. I couldn't remember all the names, but I did a pretty good job.


We have a lot of first cousins. About 45 people showed up (and there is even more family!) Our mother is well loved and has always been close with her family. We had many visitors over the years in San Diego from our relatives.


The last time I was in Albertville was for my Grandma's 90th's birthday.
Now it's my mom's 90th

 




Mom and her younger brothers Jerome and Gene


Of course no adventure of mine would be complete without a picture of feet


The Weber's kids Neil, Bonnie, Linda, Judy with Mom


Thank you Auntie Marleen in being the driving force getting us all together.


Denise with Dave's son Ian. We saw Arrik too, And Kyle.


It's time for a Whole Foods fix!


Fortunately we were able to see some of the Oswald side of the clan. 
We had lunch with Mary and Jill


No trip to Minneapolis would be complete without a trip to MOA


There are four roller coasters inside Mall of America.
We ate some gelato and did a little shopping


The "O" Babes!


We love you so much Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment